Friday, January 12, 2007

Vive La Paris


It's not often I find myself crying at 7:30 in the morning. But that's just what I was doing this morning while finishing Esmé Raji Codell's Vive La Paris. No, it's not a depressing book, although there are certainly quite a few very sad things in there. It's a wonderful and beautiful book about a young girl learning about survival and taking a second chance on a sworn enemy.

I don't have a lot of time to post today-I have an all day meeting in 40 minutes-but you really don't want to miss reading about Paris McCray, one of the most delightful girl characters created in recent years. I adore this book, and with Martin Luther King's message of nonviolence and brotherly love sprinkled throughout the novel, there's no better time to read it.

Vive La Paris is actually a companion novel to Sahara Special. You don't want to miss Diary of a Fairy Godmother. Codell also has a memoir written for kids and a great resource for parents, teachers, and librarians, How to Get Your Child to Love Reading. Esmé Raji Codell also has a fantastic website.



I'll be back on Tuesday. The library is closed in observance of Martin Luther King Day, January 15.

No comments: