Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Judy Blume, Again




I'm picking up my Essential Guide to Children's Books and Their Creators quest, which means that I'm working my way through Judy Blume's books. I picked up Double Fudge, which is the third book in the Hatcher family series.

I enjoyed Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge when I was in elementary school, but I'm finding the sequels to be very unsatisfying. While Fudge was definitely exasperating in the first two books, there were other instances in which he was (unintentionally) hilarious and acting like a typical two year old. In Double Fudge, his antics are not balanced out by any sense of hilariy; he's simply an obnoxious kid. Very disappointing. However, I did enjoy the shout outs to JK Rowling, EB White, and Laurie Halse Anderson.

No comments: