Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Read the Book-See the Movie!

I love Christmas books. I love Christmas movies. If you do too, you can double the fun with these Christmas books that you may see in movie version this holiday season.



How the Grinch Stole Christmas



The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (probably my favorite Christmas chapter book, along with Ramona and Her Father....however, I don't think they show the television movie anymore...? I haven't seen it in years, and I always look for it)

Miracle on 34th Street



The Polar Express (just know that the Santa question is raised in this book)



A Christmas Carol (which version is your favorite?)



Eloise at Christmastime

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer



Olive, the Other Reindeer




Frosty the Snowman

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash (not a children's book, obviously, but this is the collection of stories upon which A Christmas Story is based)

In addition to the Christmas movies, I've also been enjoying the family films shown every Sunday night on Turner Classic Movies. I grew up watching many of the classic live action Disney movies from the 60s and 70s, and it's been a real treat to catch a few of them. I haven't seen these movies in years, so it's been lots of fun rewatching them. Many of the movies are adaptations of children's books, such as:




The Swiss Family Robinson



20,000 Leagues Under the Sea



Old Yeller



Pollyanna (don't be put off by its reputation...it's a lovely film with excellent performances; I haven't read the book in years, so I don't know by how much the two differ)



Bedknobs and Broomsticks (movie title has the extra "s"-don't know why)



Freaky Friday

(They also showed The Parent Trap, which is based upon a German book, according to the opening credits. If anyone knows of an English translation, please let me know!)

No comments: