Monday, April 27, 2009

Recent Reads

Yay! Now it's my turn to tell you what I've been reading (I'll do a wrap-up of staff favorites later in the week). I'm going back to a twice-weekly (or so) roundup of recent reads. I just won't have time to blog every day like I used to.

I'm reading in reverse Dewey order, so nonfiction books will come in clumps of the same subject. I'm still doing not-so-random reads (choosing one book per shelf).



Hello, Twins!

Am I just totally missing out, or are there not that many picture books about twins (I can think of several chapter books off the top of my head)? Weird, since practically everyone knows a twin. This is an adorable picture book about twins who couldn't be more different.



The Blacker the Berry

Honestly, some books based on positive affirmations of skin color are quite boring. Blacker the Berry is not one of these books. This marvelous collection of poems celebrate the skin and hair color diversity among African Americans: very dark black, tan, "yellow," reddish, and nearly white.



Birmingham 1963

Centered around a (fictional) young witness of the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing, Birmingham 1963 is a haunting and memorable work of art.

That's all I have time for today. Good luck to all the Battle of the Books contestants!

No comments: