Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Summertime....And the Reading is Easy

Hello, readers!


I recently read The Middle Moffat. I'm working my way through the Newbery Medal and Honor books. Having read Ginger Pye some time ago, I was familiar with Eleanor Estes's charming books about small-town children. Just like in Ginger Pye, not much happens other than amusing incidents in the children's lives (featuring Jane, the Middle Moffat), but they are fun to read. Unlike Ginger Pye, there weren't many indicators that this was a book published in 1942 (other than a Civil War veteran that turns 100years old0; not even a mention of war. Jane is an adorable character and often finds herself in little troubles, which makes it a darling read.



If you've ever wanted to know more about mehndi, check out Mehndi: The Art of Henna Body Painting (Note: what a weird cover. Our cover is different.). Carine Fabius does a terrific job in explaining the significance behind the art of mehndi, and includes fabulous designs. Really worth a look.



I had never heard of Tressa Prisbey before I read Bottle Houses. Prisbey's startling bottle architecture is amazing! This would work well as a read aloud.




I'm planning a Jackson Pollock activity for Tween Scene, so Action Jackson immediately caught my eye while I was browsing the shelves. While centered around his unique painting technique, it does offer a brief biography and mention of his other work. It's rather long for a read aloud, though.

Have you signed up for our summer reading program yet? We have a lot of fun activities planned!

No comments: