Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Is it spring yet?

I'm certainly ready! Being a Louisiana girl, I'm not overly fond of winter. I will take 90 degree days in July over snowstorms that impede everyday life(I enjoy the occasional day off because of snow, but not a crippling snowstorm). I love having a proper fall and spring, but I can leave the winter.

Spring signals many things, including the reopening of local farmers' markets, the arrival of baby animals, daylight saving time, and...NEW SPRING BOOKS. No, not new books about spring, although that's included as well. Publishers bring out their big titles twice in a year-spring and fall. I've been going through Publishers Weekly spring preview issue for the past couple of days, and I can tell you that this is a very strong season for children's literature. I'm seeing lots of sequels, lots of big-time authors with new books, exciting new series, and promising debuts by first-time authors. There's so much creativity out there in the children's and YA literature field.

Next on my list is One Crazy Summer; I've heard so many good things about it. I'm also looking forward to reading A Faraway Island; it won the Batchelder Award for the most distinguished children's book originally published in a non-English language. Translated from the Swedish, it's the story of two Jewish Austrian sisters sent to Sweden during WWII. It's the first book in a series that is enormously popular in Sweden (it was also adapted for television). I also have Kathryn Lasky's Ashes to read.

I'd also love to read The Kingdom Keepers series, as soon as I can get a copy (I'm so glad that it's popular; I had a feeling it would be!)! I've heard awesome things about The Death-Defying Pepper Roux, and After Ever After.

March brings a ton of great titles; can't wait to tell you about them! Stay tuned!

No comments: