Thursday, February 10, 2011

Boarding School Book Bonanza

I never knew anyone who went to boarding school. Actually, I knew *of* people who went to boarding school. A few boys were sent (or so it was rumored) to a Catholic boys' boarding school in another state. And one girl went to a magnet students' boarding school when we were in high school, but that was about it. Boarding school was a mysterious thing that I usually only encountered in chapter books or in news items about the British royals. Reading The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt made me think of other children's books that take place at boarding school:




Madeline

First published in 1939, the Madeline stories continue to charm and delight young readers.




Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I couldn't do a boarding school post without mentioning Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.



Bloomability

Sharon Creech's story of a troubled thirteen year old girl is a poignant friendship story set at an exclusive Swiss boarding school.



A Little Princess

Truth be told, I love A Little Princess more than The Secret Garden. The most recent film version is markedly different from the book; it's such a beautiful movie that I really don't mind.



The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt

Moxie decides to reinvent herself at her new boarding school, to disastrous effects. This is a funny and sweet story about being true to yourself (without being preachy).

The Secret Language

I loved this book when I was a child. Loved the idea of secret languages and impromptu midnight feasts. It's a shame that it's out of print.




The Mysterious Benedict Society

This series of books about students at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened is incredibly popular with our patrons. A very fun series!

We have some terrific books heading our way! I'll blog about upcoming books in an upcoming post.

1 comment:

Betsy Parkes said...

I hadn't heard of The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt but it sounds really fun, and such an important message for that age group! I will definitely check it out on my next library trip. Thanks for the heads up.

Betsy Parkes
www.the-best-childrens-books.org