Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Media Matters: Ballet Shoes




Ballet Shoes


Here's a review for you: I enjoyed this much, much more than I anticipated I would. Ballet Shoes, based upon the book by Noel Streatfeild, is the story of three former orphans studying at a prestigious London performing arts academy. Pauline (played by Emma Watson, otherwise known as Hermione from the Harry Potter movies) has acting talent, Posy has ballet talent, and Petrova would rather take flying lessons and cars than tap lessons.

It's been some time since I've read the novel, but I know that some liberties were taken from the book. Pauline and Posy are a bit unlikeable at times, yet their behavior is due to their sudden successes getting to their head. The three young actresses (as well as the young girl playing their rival) give convincing and natural performances. I loved the way the 1930s era came alive through the costumes, hairstyles, and music. Also--quite a bit of smoking (by the adult characters, but that's also in tune with the era)! In fact, that's why it's rated PG (I laughed when the parental guidance information was flashed before the movie started, but yes, the smoking is prominent in several scenes).

This is a children's movie, but children who need a lot of action and excitement in their movies (and who aren't interested in dance) might find this quiet movie boring (I would have loved it when I was ten or so, but I would have found the orphans' lives very exciting and glamorous!).

No comments: