Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wowbrary Wednesday

I received a new Wowbrary notice in my email this Tuesday morning. Click. Click. Click. Here's what caught my eye:





Steve Jobs


Actually, I put in a request for this before the latest Wowbrary came out (as did several others). I believe this was originally set for publication early next year. When Jobs announced his retirement, it was pushed to November; with his recent death, publication was rushed to late October. Jobs was an extremely private man, yet he consented to many interviews for this biography (he did not ask to approve or even read the book before publication, and he encouraged friends and associates to speak honestly). Should be a fascinating read.









Jack Kennedy, Elusive Hero


Another JFK biography? Some may say that, but I'm looking forward to reading it (I've never read much about the Kennedys, but the recent Jacqueline Kennedy book/CD release intrigued me). The author interviewed Kennedy's closest associates during his research.








Then Again


From what I've read, Diane Keaton's memoir is not only a memoir of her acclaimed Hollywood career, but also a loving tribute to her mother. How refreshing. (I've avoided much of the "my family is so dysfunctional" memoir craze.)




Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony


Don't know why there's no picture in the catalog. Sorry. I've been waiting for this ever since the end of the Anthony trial (not surprisingly, so have several others, as there are already a handful of holds). I won't review it on this blog; just wanted to point out that it's been ordered.









The Pilgrim

Now, this looks really interesting. The Pilgrims don't figure that much...well, at all in modern historical fiction. Nice to see someone tackle something other than the usual suspects of kings and princesses. Charles Wentworth journeys to the Plymouth Colony in hopes of easing his heartbreak, where he discovers, of course, danger, excitement, and even new love. Awesome. Something for Thanksgiving vacation reading!








White Truffles in Winter

I don't know anything about culinary history, but I do love a good foodie novel. This is about the French chef Auguste Escofiier, who was torn between his wife and the famous actress Sarah Bernhardt. Food, theatre, and a love triangle? Oui, oui, oui!


Of course, this doesn't mean that I'll get to them all, but they sound pretty awesome!

No comments: