Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Best Books of 2011

Tomorrow is December 1st (yikes!). As such, the numerous "Best Of" lists are coming in fast and furious. I participated in a Twitter chat hosted by School Library Journal and was able to get a sneak peek at several titles on their list, to be released tomorrow. They didn't say if Young Fredle was on that list; I love that little mouse, so I hope so! However, was very happy that Amelia Lost made the list; it would be awesome if a nonfiction book won the Newbery. I'll post my personal favorites list in January; I'm still trying to get through 2011 books! If you're wondering how these publications make their Best Of 2011 lists before we even hit December 1st, it's because review publications receive advance reader copies several months in advance. They've been digging into 2012 reads for several months by now.



As Early Word points out in this post, the various Best Books list generally don't overlap. There's just so many books, and so many lists that the odds greatly diminish. However, there are a few that are repeatedly popping up on many lists:







Blackout


Here's a great trailer for Blackout:








Between Shades of Gray

Ruta Sepetys discusses Between Shades of Gray.












Chime

Find out more about Franny Billingsley here.








Daughter of Smoke and Bone

See the trailer for Daughter of Smoke and Bone here, and find out more about the book (can't embed it in this post).








The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (this was originally published online, so it's ineligible for the Newbery)







Heart and Soul

Kadir Nelson discusses Heart and Soul:











I Want My Hat Back

Trailer for I Want My Hat Back:











Inside Out & Back Again


This NPR article discusses author Thanhha Lai and her book, Inside Out and Back Again.











Me...Jane

Find out more about Patrick McDonell here.








A Monster Calls

Patrick Ness writes a diary on his website.








Okay For Now


Gary Schmidt's website includes an interview with the author.








Press Here

This is a great trailer for Press Here (edit: embedding, unfortunately, doesn't always capture the entire video).









The Scorpio Races


Virginia author Maggie Stiefvater is so talented that it's unreal. She animated and composed the music for The Scorpio Races trailer:










Wonderstruck


And last but certainly not least, a trailer for Wonderstruck (the Brian Selznick book, not Taylor Swift's perfume):







I've been in a reading slump recently, which is why I haven't posted many reviews. I'm currently reading Bunheads, which I am loving (it also appeared on Kirkus's best books for teens list), and Imperfect Justice, which I can't say that I love, of course, but find compelling. Also just checked out several books on Early Word's list that I haven't read yet. I've got a lot to read before 2011 is over!

No comments: