Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer Reading

Ahhh, summer. Our libraries are full of families checking out armfuls of books and recorded books in anticipation of long uninterrupted reading and listening times in the car, on the plane, or at the beach. Newspapers, magazines, and websites are publishing their annual summer reading lists for people looking for new reads. I have many, many books that I am eager to read this summer; here are my top picks:

Children's fiction/nonfiction:




Absolutely Almost has earned superlative reviews for its strong portrayal of a ten year old trying to discover his talents and abilities.








Revolution is Deborah Wiles's second entry in her trilogy about the 1960s.  Set during the Freedom Riders era in Mississippi, this has drawn yet even more rave reviews for this distinguished author.


YA fiction/nonfiction:




I've been wanting to read Girls Like Us ever since I heard its premise: a group of girls graduate from their high school's special education class and live together in an apartment. Characters with cognitive disabilities are rarely found in any type of fiction, so the fact that a remarkable premise has earned remarkable reviews is certainly a great thing!







This One Summer looks exactly the type of graphic novel that I love; this story of two teenage girls dealing with family and friendship difficulties has been awarded 5 starred reviews!


Adult fiction/nonfiction:




I loooooove historical fiction, so All the Light We Cannot See has been on my radar for some time (on others' radars as well, judging by the amount of holds!).  It's set during World War II in occupied France, Germany, and Russia, featuring a blind French girl and an orphaned German boy.





I'm patiently waiting my turn to read The Romanov Sisters (I am not hurting for reading material).  The tragic young Romanov daughters continue to draw interest and fascination, as evidenced by the number of patrons wanting to read this.






I began reading Sally Ride at lunch recently, and although I haven't gone past the chapters on Dr. Ride's childhood, I am already fascinated by this gorgeously written biography.




Looking for new reads? Subscribe to Wowbrary so that you can be among the first to read about our latest orders (books, ebooks and eaudiobooks, DVDs, recorded books). You can also browse past issues to learn more about our latest additions.

Jennifer Schultz, Youth Services Librarian, Fauquier County Public Library


To learn more about Fauquier County Public Library's collectionevents, and programs, visit us on FacebookTwitter (Kiddosphere's feed is here), or on our website.

No comments: