Friday, June 03, 2011

I'm Seeing Stars

...because I'm reading the June 2011 reviews in the recent School Library Journal. Very happy to report that we already have several of these special books:




The Queen of Water

I am THRILLED that this received a starred review in SLJ. It debuted quietly, and I would very much like it to have a wider audience. Based on the true story of Maria Virginia Farinango, author Laura Resau beautifully and sensitively chronicles Maria's indentured servitude with an abusive mestizo family in Ecuador. Taken from her home and made to feel ashamed of her indigenous heritage, Virginia adopts mestizo customs and speaks Spanish instead of her native Quechua dialect. Despite her seemingly insurmountable circumstances, Virginia manages to earn an education and discover a pride in her heritage. This is a difficult book to read at times due to its subject matter, but it's such an inspirational and hopeful story (the ending is spectacular) that it may be one of the most memorable and powerful books you'll read all year. I have a feeling that it will be so for me. An amazing story.




The Emerald Atlas

This is in my to-be-read pile. It's received terrific reviews, a prominent display in Borders, and a steady stream of checkouts from our patrons. This is the first in a series about three orphaned kids with special powers to change history.




The Throne of Fire

This is the second in Rick Riordan's Egyptian-themed Kane Chronicles series. Super popular.




Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake

You'll love this story about a chocolate-cake obsessed bunny. I promise you.

I'm currently reading Beauty Queens. Libba Bray is awesome.

No comments: