Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Picture Book Read Alouds for the Elementary School Crowd

My monthly blog topic on the ALSC blog is all about read alouds for the elementary school crowd. Youth services staff is often asked to be guest readers at school literacy nights or other school functions. Finding picture book read alouds that a large age range can enjoy can be tricky. In addition to the ones I noted on the ALSC blog, here are a few others that I love:




Miss Nelson is Missing

I remember many chapter books from my childhood, but few picture books. Miss Nelson is an exception.




How My Parents Learned to Eat

Although it contains a bit more dialogue than what I normally like for read alouds, this charmer about a Japanese woman and an American sailor falling in love and learning about each others eating customs is too irresistible to not share with older children. The title alone piques their interest.




Shrek

Shrek is a little longer than the other books in this post and on the ALSC post, but I use it because many children (and parents) don't know that the (awesome) movie is loosely (very, very, very) loosely based on this book (awesome too).

Thanks to my car deciding to overheat in traffic on Memorial Day, I spent some quality time at the car repair shop yesterday and read The Friendship Doll in its entirety (and finished The Queen of Water). More on that later.

No comments: