Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Readers' Advisory

Readers' advisory is librarian-speak for "recommending books to patrons." It's one of my favorite parts about my job-connecting great books with kids. If you and/or your child needs help with the summer reading program game cards, ask one of us at the reference desk. It's part of our job to read children's books. We also have many recommended reading brochures available for the public, and we have our own lists that we are able to refer to when assisting you.

If you are one square away from being able to spin our game wheel, you can complete that wheel by asking me for a good book to read. Very easy!

Today was a great readers' advisory day. I helped a mom (not a native born citizen) find picture books about Independence Day. I helped a 6 six year old complete two game board activities: read a book that has won an award (I gave him Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa, which was named a Geisel Honor book in 2006)and the "ask the librarian for a good book to read" activity (gave him Chickens to the Rescue and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, two of my favorites).

(I did more RA than that, but those were two that stand out.)

Here's another game card activity you can do: read a book that's been reviewed on the Kiddosphere blog!

No comments: