Monday, September 22, 2008

My One Hundred Adventures: Newbery Pick #1



For the past few months, I've been looking for my Newbery picks. Books that are just so wonderful and memorable that I will throw a hissy fit if they don't win the Newbery. Well, maybe that's exaggerating. I'm pretty bad at predicting the Newbery (if I'm lucky, one of my picks will be named a Newbery Honor, as were Penny From Heaven and The Wednesday Wars), and haven't really thrown a hissy fit yet. Just pouted for a few minutes after the selection was announced and got over it.

That might not be the case this year. Because, you see, I've found my absolute favorite for the Newbery, and it's by one of my all-time favorite authors, Polly Horvath! How cool is that! I'll have to watch myself, though, because this year, I'll be at the ALA Midwinter conference when the awards are announced. And if Polly Horvath is ignored, the other poor librarians just better watch out. Trust me, this book is that good.

What book? Oh, My One Hundred Adventures, which is only the best book Horvath has ever written! And that's saying a lot, particularly how awesome Everything on a Waffle , When the Circus Came to Town, and her other books are. Fans of Horvath's zany out-there humor will not be disappointed (wait until you get to the part when Jane drops Bibles from a hot air balloon). However, fans (adult fans) will notice that this book is different. This is a quieter book...a more reflective book. This book has writing so lyrical and beautiful that you will reread sentences more than once. This book has an adorable and wonderful 12 year old narrator that you will not soon forget.

I won't tell you much-other than it's about a girl who prays for one hundred adventures-because it's a bit difficult to explain. Just read it! Trust me.

(Look at the reviews! Stars all over the place!)

No comments: