Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday Roundup

I've started and put aside quite a few books recently. I usually have no sentimentality toward a book I've started. If it doesn't grab me by the first 50-100 pages, it's over. However, we are full steam ahead with the spring 2009 publication season, meaning that there are many new books that demand my attention. If I'm going to stay with an older book, it better be something that grabs me right away. Not that it's the fault of the author-perhaps I'm just not in the mood for that particular storyline, genre, etc.

I've never blogged about books that I haven't finished. Just never felt the need. Well, I'm looking for new ways to get me back into blogging on a regular basis, so I'm going to tell you about the books that I didn't finish. This won't be a bashing session. If you've read the book, I'd love it if you left a comment on it.

So, without further ado:

BOOKS I DIDN'T FINISH (RECENTLY):



Elvis and Olive

Brief synopsis from the catalog: "In spite of their differences, Natalie Wallis and Annie Beckett become friends and decide to spend their summer spying on their neighbors."

Why I didn't finish it: I have a low tolerance for books with precociously quirky children. Many adore them. They, more often than not, get on my nerves.

Why you should read it and tell me that I'm crazy for not finishing it: Cool girl characters! Can't have enough of those (but we need more cool guy character books!).




The Happiness of Kati

Synopsis from the catalog: "With the impending death of her mother, Kati, a young Thai girl, completes the puzzle of her past and discovers the reason that her mother gave her up as a baby."

Why I didn't finish it: I appreciate the fact that the book centers around ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and that it is set in Thailand, two things that don't commonly factor into children's literature. However, the facts about the disease were awkwardly inserted into the story line.

Why you should read it and tell me that I'm crazy for not finishing it: It's such a unique setting that it should get some kudos for that!

Next post: Books that I did finish. What a concept!

No comments: