Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Staff Favorites: Picture Books

I've really fallen behind on blogging! It takes quite a bit of time to find professional reviews of books. Since I really want to get back to reviewing my own reads, the remaining lists will have brief comments.



Princess and the Pizza

One of my favorites! The Auchs are known for their "fractured fairy tales." This one is a retelling of "The Princess and the Pea." I have a staple of picture books that I go to when I am asked to read to an elementary school class. This is one of them.



Fanny's Dream



Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

Yay! I love anything Mem Fox does.



My Little Sister Ate One Hare

"We thought she'd throw up, right then and there...but she didn't!" Tremendously fun read aloud.

Jalapeno Hal

Muy bueno!

The Tomten and the Fox

I am a huge Pippi Longstocking fan (I was Pippi for my 3rd grade book character day), but I've never read this picture book by Astrid Lindgren. Must rectify that ASAP.



How I Became a Pirate

Yeah, I like this a lot too. Pirate books, costumes, programs (raises hand), and such were huge for a few years. Doesn't seem so cute anymore, does it? (I asked for titles well before the current issues.) Oh, well...it's possible that the fad was dying even before the current piracy problems.



Here Comes the Aliens





I Wanna Iguana



Doctor De Soto

This won a Newbery Honor in 1983 (one of the rare honorees that isn't a novel).



The Friend



The Library

How I Spent My Summer Vacation



Scarlette Beane

I adore this strange and fabulous book!



Whitefish Will Rides Again

(More to follow!)

No comments: