Saturday, March 20, 2010

Picture Books Palooza

I've been neglecting picture books recently, and that's not good! I'll try to include a picture book roundup every week. Let's look at some new and new-ish picture books:



The Fox and the Hen

A fox vs. hen story is not anything new (my personal favorite is Hungry Hen), but I've read good things about this one. Fox has stolen Hen's egg; her very first egg! It's up to Hen and her friends to take the egg back.



My Brother Charlie

Written for siblings of children with autism, My Brother Charlie is a gentle look at life with a brother with autism.



Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!

Another Cat the Cat book from Mo Willems! I adore the Elephant & Piggie series, but I think Cat the Cat is just as fun. Keep an eye out for a new Knuffle Bunny book this fall.



Here Comes the Garbage Barge!

Do you remember (back in the 80s), when there was a garbage barge that traveled from city to city (started in Islip, NY), with each city refusing it? This is the story of what happened. Haven't seen it yet, but it's received great reviews.



Dogs

Oh, Emily Gravett's books are STUNNING. I adore her books. It's too bad that she's not eligible for a Caldecott (you have to be a U.S. resident). This is a celebration of dogs. Perfect for a toddler read aloud.



Brownie and Pearl Step Out

I'm so happy that Cynthia Rylant has a new picture book. Her books are so beautiful and timeless that I try to introduce her work to parents as often as possible. I believe Brownie and Pearl will be a series; good thing, because this is too darling to not continue!



Who's Awake in Springtime?

This is a great addition to our spring books collection. Although the parents are beyond done at the end of the day, baby animals (and a baby human) are not quite ready for a spring time day to end. Love it!



Henry in Love

Precious, precious, precious. It's the first day of school, and Henry has a crush on the most amazing girl rabbit in class. A sweet opposites-attract story involving a blueberry muffin.

Picture books aren't just for pre-readers; in my next picture book roundup, I'll discuss sophisticated picture books for older children.

No comments: