Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Imaginary Girls



I don't know about you, but I'm really, really over YA paranormal novels. Vampires, mermaids, Other Worlds.....enough! Please! Stop! Same thing goes for you, Hunger Games wannabes. I'll admit that despite paranormal and dystopian novels not normally being my cup of tea, I've discovered some fondly remembered favorites in those genres (Shiver, The Roar, Matched, The Dead and the Gone). I know that paranormal and dystopian fiction weren't created yesterday, but the lesser novels are really starting to run together in my mind.


I knew Imaginary Girls had a dead person mystery aspect to the story, but it wasn't until I was already beyond hooked that I found out that OH WHADDYA KNOW...IT'S A PARANORMAL NOVEL. Thanks a lot, Nova Ren Suma. Thanks.A.Lot. Sneaky!

Other than discovering the dead body of a classmate, it was a fairly normal night of hanging out at the resevoir for Chloe. Naturally, this shakes up Chloe quite a bit (!), so she's sent away to live with her father in Pennsylvania (her mother is eccentric and older sister does most of the caretaking). Several years pass; Ruby, Chloe's wildly popular and offbeat sister, shows up to bring Chloe back home, where she encounters...well, the very last person she'd expect to encounter.


Let me tell you--this book is *freaky*. (It's also for more mature YA readers.) I still have some unanswered questions about some plot elements. But it is absolutely deserving of the reviews and attention it's received (including three starred reviews). Ruby is quite an astonishing character. Once you start it, it's very hard to put it down. It's quite a surreal read.



No comments: