Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Over at ALSC

I blogged about picture books for Black History Month on the ALSC (Association for Library Services to Children) blog.

Also working on my review of The Fault in Our Stars. Finished it this weekend, because I knew several folks were waiting for it. This is a difficult book to review. At one point, I had to put it down and walk away. It will break your heart, but what an amazing and memorable read. Just...wow. Oh, wow. I had to choose something that was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, so I picked up The Winter Palace, (also because I'm focusing on finishing books with holds on them)  which was just the thing. A grand historical fiction epic; juicy palace intrigues, spies....I'm over historical fiction about royals for the most part (even for kids and teens-I'm tired of it), but the Romanovs are a big change from the Tudors (and pre-Tudors and post-Tudors). And because I forgot my copy at work yesterday, I started The Orphan Master's Son this morning while waiting at the auto repair shop. I was grabbed from the first page. Both books have several holds on them, so I'm trying to get through them ASAP, and then it's back to children's/YA lit. 2012 is starting off to be a terrific reading year.









No comments: