Friday, July 20, 2012

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity






So...I finally finished The Presidents Club.  As I said, I wasn't really sure if I would like it, because the subject matter--relationships between presidents and their successors/predecessors--seemed rather narrowly focused.  It's received a lot of attention in various media outlets, so I decided that I should at least look at it.


If you're into presidential history, you will be hooked.  Beginning with Presidents Hoover and Truman, Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy explore the wary, warm, antagonistic, and troublesome relationships between each Commander-in-Chief and his successors/predecessors.  I was particularly fascinated with Hoover's post-presidency work and relations with Truman, and found the George H.W. Bush/Bill Clinton partnership most intriguing.  The book concludes with the inauguration and beginning of Barack Obama's presidency.  Presidential history buffs will not want to miss this.
















No comments: