Monday, September 10, 2012

And We're Off

It's all systems go for the 2012 Fall publishing year.  July and August were warmups to a full season of reading.  September is chock-full of exciting titles--let's get down to business!









One Year in Coal Harbor

Polly Horvath is one of my all-time favorites. Her books are zany, funny, and great for readers wary of overstuffed novels.  One Year in Coal Harbor is a sequel to her Newbery Honor novel, Everything On a Waffle. It's receiving fine reviews; although your enjoyment of the novel is inevitably deepened if you are familiar with the first book, it seems like this stands on its own.









The Three Ninja Pigs

My cart was overflowing with titles; I had to set aside some for future dates/wish lists.  I went back and forth over this one, but I have a feeling that this will be a hit.  It's the story of the Three Little Pigs who call on their martial arts skills to fend off the wolf, with mixed results (until Sister Pig saves the day).  It's not just a silly retelling of the story; the illustrations and background are decidedly Japanese, which is quite cool.








Alice in Zombieland

I hadn't heard of Alice in Zombieland until I attended an online presentation of fall 2012 titles.  Although this sounds like a mashup, it's definitely not Alice in Wonderland, except with zombies.  Touches of the original Alice are woven throughout the story.  This Ali fights zombies.  Pretty cover + zombiiiieeees! will definitely make this a popular selection.









Almost Home

Listen up, people! This? Is how you create a cover.  C'mon! What preteen/teen girl is going to resist that?  I adore Joan Bauer's novels; always quality reads with great messages that aren't hammered into the reader's head.  Kirkus Reviews remarked that Sugar (the heroine) is of one Bauer's "strongest young women yet." 








Annie and Helen

Do we really need another Helen Keller biography? Don't get me wrong.  Helen Keller is one of my favorite people to read about. When I was in elementary school, I read every Helen Keller biography that I could find, and even did my social studies fair project about her.  She remains a popular biography topic for children.  But there are just so many excellent children's biographies about Keller that I really only order them if they are truly special and unique.  According to the many superlative reviews Annie and Helen has received, this is one of them. This is the first of two major Keller biographies out this fall; Doreen Rappaport has one coming out next month (which has also received fine reviews).








The Brides of Rollrock Island

Oooooh, a selkie story for the YA crowd. This has earned stellar reviews.








Dogs on Duty: Soldiers' Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond

I've been aware of this book for several months, hoping that it would receive satisfactory reviews.  Luckily, it's been well-received by book reviewers.









Drama

Drama is Raina Telgemeier's sophomore graphic novel; after her tremendous Smile, I've been impatient to read more from this young artist.  Awesome reviews and online buzz.








Today On Election Day

Kirkus Reviews says (in a mostly positive review) that this is "modestly didactic" which I'm willing to overlook. A children's informative story about elections will not include the weariness and cynicism that adults may associate with elections (although Bad Kitty for President does snark about political campaigns).  Today on Election Day is set at a school polling place in a small town, abuzz with the energy of election day. Kirkus also notes that the honor and importance of 18 year olds voting for the first time is stressed. I like the sound of that!


This is just a *tiny* sampling of the amazing titles we will soon receive! Much more will be revealed in an upcoming Wowbrary (I'm assuming this week's edition).














No comments: