Thursday, January 03, 2013

2012 Favorites: Favorite Adult Fiction/Nonfiction

I just sent off our first order of 2013 books. Yay!  There are quite a few books that I am impatiently anticipating.  Before I post about forthcoming 2013 books, let me pull together my favorites from 2012. Like last year, I'll break them into separate categories and award gold, silver, bronze, and honorable mentions.  Let's get started with my favorite adult fiction/nonfiction reads.



Fiction:






Bronze: A Good American (my review)


This is traditional historical fiction saga: full of memorable characters and events that sweep over generations.









Silver: The Master's Muse (my review)



I love it when I find historical fiction that's outside of the usual suspects: royalty, Civil War, etc.  This fictionalized account of famed ballerina Tanaquil LeClerq is a must read for those who love historical fiction set in an arts setting....there's not much in that area, so this is a welcome addition.










Gold: The Sandcastle Girls (my review)


No contest. This is an overwhelmingly sad read at times, but for fans for historical fiction, a can't-miss read.  The ending is extraordinary (and hopeful).






Nonfiction:




Bronze:: Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred (my review)



A funny and eye-opening look at the show dog world through the experience of Jack, a promising show dog.










Silver: Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Superhero (my review)


The creation and history of Superman is just as big and bold as Superman's adventures.








Gold: Far From the Tree: Parents, Children, And the Search for Identity (my review)


An overwhelming, challenging, controversial, and worthwhile read.







Honorable Mention: Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, And the Worlds They Came From (my review)



I had to include this for an honorable mention. I usually avoid Titanic stuff--Titanic obsession puts me off--but this was a fantastic read that was centered around the human drama and less about the glitz and glamor.


Next post: My favorite pre-2012 reads read in 2012.














No comments: