Friday, December 12, 2014

On the Shelf: For Future Reading

During Thanksgiving, I had a deadline for School Library Journal looming, so casual reading was not a possibility during my days off. With no assignment due over the Christmas holiday, I am free to read whatever I want! (I am honored to review for SLJ, but since I'm constantly taking notes and rereading several sections while working on my assignment, it's a different task than reading for pleasure.) I'm looking forward to reading these books in the upcoming weeks: 




I admire The Rock and the River and Camo Girl, so any new book from Kekla Magoon goes on my list. How it Went Down has earned superb reviews for its multi-faceted story of a community torn apart by a shooting in which multiple people offer differing accounts of what happened. 




I read anything by Ann M. Martin, so Rain Reign is a must read. She's drawn fabulous praise for her portrayal of a young girl with Aspergers dealing with the loss of her dog. 





Michaela DePrince's amazing and inspiring lifestory of her childhood in war-torn Sierra Leone to becoming one of the few African-American prima ballerinas sounds like a remarkable read. Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina is one of my top choices on my list. 


I hope you can find time to read an awesome book or two over the holidays! 

Jennifer Schultz, Youth Services Librarian, Fauquier County Public Library

To learn more about Fauquier County Public Library's collectionevents, and programs, visit us on FacebookTwitter (Kiddosphere's feed is here), or on our website.


 


No comments: