Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More Staff Favorites: Picture Books



Ugh

Monkey and Me

If you haven't checked out Emily Gravett's books, you are missing out!



On My Way to Buy Eggs

A splendid story brought to you by an outstanding publisher. Kane/Miller specializes in publishing books originally written in other countries. They do extraordinary work.



Milo's Hat Trick

Jon Agee's picture books are great for kindergarten and elementary age students. Lots of weird humor.



Big Smelly Bear

A terrific read aloud for a bear or bath themed story time.



Mmm Cookies

Some people are major Robert Munsch fans. I must confess that I am not one of them. But this is cute.

Julius' Candy Corn



Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

A modern classic. After a few readings, you can do this as performance art.



Bread and Jam for Frances

A lovely classic.



Many Moons



Flower Garden

So many garden themed books are set in the suburbs or countryside. This is a great toddler and preschool read aloud centered around a family's urban flower garden.



Who Took the Farmer's Hat?

This is a fun book, but the size makes it tricky to share with a large group.



Math Curse

Another hilarious Scieszka entry.



Is Your Mama a Llama?

Some stories in rhyme don't work. This one does.



I'm As Quick as a Cricket



Goodnight Moon

Another one that many parents and children's librarians can do as a one-person show. Take a look at your copy. Is illustrator Clement Hurd holding a cigarette between his fingers? The newer editions have it edited out! Gather around and let me tell you a story. In 1947, no one gave much thought to a picture of a children's illustrator posing with a cigarette in a book for toddlers. Different times, friends.



The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I don't care how many times I've read it-I'll never get tired of this one. And you don't have to worry about the musical chip fading into nothingness in this book (unlike other Carle books)!

Slinky Malinki

Pig Pig



To Bathe a Boa



Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

A classic Burton (Virginia Lee, not Tim) title. Ramona fans know it well. (I grew up with The Little House-I don't remember reading this one until I reread Ramona the Pest several years ago).



Detective Larue



Make Way for Ducklings

I adore this one too. One of the few children's picture books I distinctly remember reading (I remember many chapter books, but only a handful of picture books, although I know we had them).

No comments: