Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Waiting For Wednesday

Oh. My. Goodness.  If you haven't checked out this week's Wowbrary, you are really missing out (if you subscribe, it will arrive in your email every week).  I am in deep trouble; there are just way too many awesome adult fiction/nonfiction books coming our way. Here's a tasty sampling:














Girl Walks Into a Bar




I loved Rachel Dratch's sketches on Saturday Night Live (especially her Debbie Downer ones), and wondered why she seemed to fall off the face of the earth after she left SNL. Girl Walks Into a Bar details her life post-Saturday Night Live, including her ax from 30 Rock, created and written by her SNL friend Tina Fey, her struggle to find success after SNL, and her surprise pregnancy at 45 (!). 









Top of the Rock


Oh, hello.  I've been waiting for this ever since I read the Publishers Weekly review several months ago.   Now, an oral history of NBC during the 90s might not exactly fly off the shelves, but these were the shows that I watched, my sister watched, my parents watched, my friends watched, and nearly everyone else at school watched. This is oral history, so while it's entertaining, selective memory is always a factor to consider.







Abdication


Ooooooh. First of all--nice cover.  Very cool.   Secondly--a historical fiction about the abdication of Edward VIII? Yes, please!









I Am Forbidden


Ever since I first read Chaim Potok's The Chosen in high school, I've had a great interest in Jewish historical fiction.  This family saga of two sisters in a Hasidic (ultra-Orthodox) sect spans several countries and decades.











The Chaperone


A young woman tries to break into the entertainment industry circa 1922 New York. My kind of story!










The Cranes Dance


All right--a ballet novel!  Of course, there's the inevitable mental breakdown due to the pressure of dance, but I would expect nothing less from a ballet novel.










The Master's Muse


Ballet!

Historical fiction!

BALLET HISTORICAL FICTION!

I'm sorry-that does require all caps.  The Master's Muse is based on the life story of Tanaquil Le Clerq, the fourth (and final) wife of famed choreographer George Balanchine.  Le Clerq's ballet career was cut short by polio at the age of 27. I peeked at the reviews, and they are totally awesome. Yaaay!


I'm not going to tell you how many hold requests I have. It's too embarrassing.  Luckily, we're about a month or so away from publication of several titles, so we all have quite a bit of reading to do before then, don't we?

No comments: