Tuesday, June 08, 2010

If You Haven't Read It

....it's new to you!

While I'm waiting to get the go-ahead to blab about the Jefferson Cup winners, let me tell you about new books that will be front and center on our new books shelves. While not necessarily brand-new, they're new to our collection:



Pixarpedia

A hefty guide to all things Pixar. While Disney encylopedias are common (I have my eye on a new Disney Princess encyclopedia out in the fall), I've never seen one just on Pixar. Very cool.



100 Most Disgusting Things on the Planet

Oh, this should be vile. Tons of disgusting things, lovingly described and photographed in their glory. Includes a gross rating chart and tips. Fabulous.



First Guitar Tutor

When parents and kids ask for instrument study books, we usually have to refer them to adult nonfiction. Now that we have this book, we can direct them to books in our own collection. We also ordered How To Improve at Playing Piano.



Action Philosophers

Reading about the great philosophers is not most teens' cup of tea. But put their philosophies in a graphic novel format and make the philosophers action/superheroes? That might be a different story. Perhaps not a huge crowd pleaser (which is why I only ordered one copy), but it was so unique that I couldn't pass it up.




Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean

The excitement over Earhart's first transatlantic flight is seen through the eyes of a young girl. Told in graphic novel format.




Ask Me Anything

I have to confess that I get weary after reading some DK books, even though I think they are remarkable. There's just so much information and images to read and examine. Ask Me Anything looks jammed with lists, trivia, and quizzes; just the type of things that DK fans (and they are many) crave. This will go over well.




As will Do Not Open, which is another DK book that we recently ordered. Do Not Open is all about the mysterious and the unexplained, as only DK can present. This should go over like gangbusters!



Boy on the Lion Throne: The Childhood of the 14th Dalai Lama

A YA book about the Dalai Lama. Certainly unique!



Captain America: Road to Reborn

The Captain America movie will be out in 2011; we'll have the stories before the movie is out. Woo hoo (doesn't always happen like this; sometimes I find out about this stuff after the movie has been released)!



The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule

The Berenstain Bears are back with an emphasis on Christian teachings and values.




I'm always on the lookout for religion books that go beyond the basics of a particular religion. Which is why I was happy to find In the Prophet's Garden.




Crime Stories

Crime Stories, along with Sci-Fi Stories, were specifically recommended for reluctant YA readers.



Justin Bieber

Bieber fever is alive and well (until the next kid comes along), so far be it for me to deny Bieber-ites the pleasure of reading all about their favorite guy. Just hope no huge scandals come out between now and when the books are on the shelves (I remember when one of the New Kids trashed his hotel room; it was over for them, but they were on their way out anyway).



The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet the Muppets

I have no idea how this book will go over. The Muppets will always be classic, but they're not constantly in the forefront, except when they have a new movie out (they have a fabulous Youtube channel that's frequently updated). I just discovered a new Muppet manga line, which is, like everything Muppets, rather wild and strange. I'm talking about stories like Robin Hood and Snow White featuring the Muppets in the roles. I only ordered this one, which looks at backstage shenanigans, so we'll see how that goes.

More to come, as they used to say on The Tonight Show.

No comments: