Friday, January 14, 2011

Audiobook of the Week

Did you make any New Year's resolutions? I made a "readolution." My readolution was to listen to more audiobooks. We have an excellent children's/YA audiobook collection, and I need to become more familiar with it. I'm aiming for one audiobook a week.

I picked up The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen, read by Barbara Rosenblat. Hannah is not looking forward to the Passover Seder; just another long boring ritual, in her eyes. When, as part of the seder ritual, she opens the door to "invite" the Prophet Elijah to the seder, she finds herself whisked away to 1930s Poland.

Barbara Rosenblat is a stellar reader. With just the slightest change in inflection, she takes on the persona of a young girl, an elderly rabbi, or a Nazi. It is a spellbinding recording. Definitely a great way to start off my new readolution!

No comments: